Terrorist attacks, like the one experienced in the US on September 11, 2001, have left many concerned about the possibility of future incidents in the United States and their potential impact. They have raised uncertainty about what might happen next and when, increasing stress levels and impacting corporate cultures. There are steps you can take to prepare for terrorist attacks or other unforeseen events to reduce the stress that you may feel now and in the future should another emergency arise. Taking proactive action can reassure your company or your family that you can exert a measure of control even in the face of such events.
As we’ve learned from previous events, the following things can happen after a terrorist attack, natural disaster or a significant event:
- There can be large numbers of casualties and/or damage to buildings and the infrastructure.
- Employers need up-to-date information about any medical needs you may have and on how to contact designated individuals.
- Could be possible extensive law enforcement involvement at local, state, and federal levels.
- There is almost a guarantee that communications will be disrupted.
- Resources will be limited including food, water, medicine and fuel.
- Health and mental health resources in the affected communities can be strained to their limits, maybe even overwhelmed.
- Extensive media coverage, strong public fear and international implications and consequences can continue for a prolonged period.
- Workplaces and schools may be closed, and there may be restrictions on domestic and international travel.
- You and your family or household may have to evacuate the area, being aware that some roads may be unsafe or unpassable.
- Power and critical infrastructure could be disrupted for days, weeks or months
- Clean-up and recovery may take many months if not years.
The Intelligence Group can help your company or family plan for the unexpected. We will identify safe locations in a disaster or significant event and work tirelessly to get you to safety. During the attacks on Mumbai in 2008, we successfully directed clients to safe locations until they could be evacuated.